As mentioned in some of my previous posts, I have tried to live a more sustainable lifestyle. As I have learned, this can be more difficult than I originally thought. 2 years after I set out on this journey, I find myself regressing into a wasteful and not so sustainable way of living. So, what is missing? I need accountability and consistency.
And thus, the 30 Day Be Well Challenge was born. For the month of July, I will be adhering to the below “rules”. My goal at the end of the month is to reduce my waste and to be healthier.
Here are the “rules”:
- No extraneous packaging
- My goal with this one is to reduce my use of plastic, and to refuse styrofoam.
- Use reusable cups only if going to Starbucks
- I normally go to Starbucks for an iced tea during the day at work. 5 cups a week for 4 weeks adds up to a total of 20 cups not going into a landfill.
- No fast food or soda
- Buy most produce at the Farmers Market every week
- Supporting local, organic farms is something that I have always felt very strong about. Relying on large-scale factory farms is not good for the environment, and supporting local farms helps the local economy.
- Buy only humanely raised animal products
- Ideally, I would be vegan. I like the cleanness of a vegan diet, but I can never get the nutrition right when I try to eat a vegan diet. Every day, I try to eat a little less meat and more plant based products. Someday, I will get there.
- Bring my own lunch and coffee to work every day.
- Bringing your own lunch and coffee helps to save money, and helps you eat healthier. Frozen dinners are off limits!
- Complete all scheduled workouts
- This is a tough one. I consider myself to be an active person, but I can be incredibly lazy when it comes to working out. Regular physical activity can only help.
I’m so looking forward to this journey. Sticking with something starts with being consistent. In addition to me doing this, I am doing this challenge along with a couple friends. We all have the same basic rules, and we have all added bonus rules we have added according to other life needs we may have. Let the fun begin!